Monday, March 1, 2010

panic attack

So today I had one of my first (of many to come I'm sure) panic attacks when I could not find T.J. anywhere!

We were getting ready to go to walmart and I needed to put his carseat back into the car. I took him into the garage with me and opened it, because I didn't think it would take me that long. Meanwhile, while multi tasking and thinking I was watching him closely, I got a phone call. I still thought I was watching and listening to him, but apparently I wasn't. I didn't look up for like 10-15 seconds, and then he had disappeared! I searched the garage, looked under the car, then looked on my front porch. Still nowhere to be seen. How could he disappear so fast? Of course I'm panicking by this time. I started calling his name, and then I heard him making his little jabbering noises. Guess where I saw him? Across the street in my neighbor's yard!

When I got to him, he was grinning and as happy as could be that he was in somebody else's yard, and probably proud that he did it himself. But I am still freaked out at the thought that he is so little and still hard to see if crossing the street! Then to top it off, after I walked him back him, he saw a volley ball under our car and decided he wanted to get it out. So he started crawling under the car, and got stuck. I pulled him out all dirty from melted snow dirt that falls off the car in the winter. So we had a nice adventure all in 5 minutes time.

Lesson learned: you have to watch a little kid like a hawk to make sure he stays safe! I am grateful for the lesson I learned with out scary consequences!

6 comments:

The Jones Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Jones Family said...

Scary! I can't imagine! I'm sure it happens to all moms sometimes! I hope you are feeling okay with the pregnancy! I'm so excited for you!

Kendra said...

Ugh. Lacie was so, so bad at that. As soon as she could open the door she was running over to the neighbors house and butt-beaming-naked most of the time to boot. You do have to watch them close and sometimes even that isn't enough!

Julie said...

What a scare! Glad he was okay! Alden did something similar at the school on Monday and freaked me out. We were in the school and in the gym foyer for the girls' afterschool activity and I had him just behind me as we stopped to help Brinley hang up her things and he disappeared out down the hall and out the front door and it was just as school was letting out so there were people everywhere. Totally scared me and he got a stern talking to about listening and staying close and not running away. How much of it he really got, who knows. It scares you no matter what age they are!

-Kyle and Emily- said...

He was probably so proud of himself and feeling so independent. Glad you found him safe!

Janelle said...

Ahhh. So scary. Scott's going to interview at some places, looking at houses, etc. and he asked for any requests. After reading your story I told him to make sure we don't live on a really busy street! TJ is getting so big and he's adorable! Hope all is well!