Sunday, April 19, 2009

This is what happens when...

...your baby learns how to roll from front to back and from back to front!So TJ has started pulling his crib bumper over his head! Yeah, it kind of worries me too! (that he is going to smother himself). The other day I was working on getting TJ to go to sleep on his own, so I gave him a little blankety toy then just left the room. During the next few minutes, over the baby monitor, I heard him rustling around in his room but I never heard him cry, and eventually I didn't hear him anymore. When I went to go see if he fell asleep, this is what I came to. I couldn't help but laughing..

If you can't tell, his head is completely between the crib and the crib bumper. (He was awake when I took the picture but I took it before I moved him from his new position.) Yeah.
So then last night I decided to take the bumper off just to be safe for TJ's sake. This morning he woke up slightly earlier than we wanted to get up ourselves, so I just left him in his crib with some toys hoping he'd entertain himself for a bit so I could sleep longer. About a half hour or so later he started fussing a bit so we went into his room and found him like this...

Its pretty funny, but what do we do?? Leave the bumper on so he doesn't get stuck? Or take it off so he doesn't get smothered? Who knew babies would cause such dilemmas when they start moving around!!

11 comments:

simple mom/wife said...

Those pictures have me laughing! He's one smart little boy! I can see why you're questioning--wish I had an answer.

Southern Belle said...

hahah that is so cute! Well, my dr told me not to have a bumper because that was dangerous , and I always come in to get Cheyenne and her legs or arms are sticking out of the crib like that. I think it is safer without a bumper. Cheyenne still can't roll from her front to her back. Sometimes at night she will be crying and I will go in there and she will be on her stomach and can't get back to her back and she is all frustrated, then I roll her over and she goes back to sleep... I am really excited for her to be able to learn to do it herself...

Jen Duke said...

He is so cute! And that is so funny- kids are seriously so much entertainment. Hopefully you won't have him learning to climb out of his crib any time soon!

Chelsi said...

What a funny kid! I know some say that bumper pads aren't safe, but it sure is hard to watch your kids all tangled up in the bars of the crib. Gracie would always shove her head into the bars and leave red marks. Does your bumper pad have ties along the bottom? If it doesn't, could you add some? Then, Tyson couldn't pull it up and over himself, I think. Good luck with it!

lizwagz said...

ok so it might not be much to look at but i used a mesh baby bumper and loved it.
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2266849&CAWELAID=107524955.
i still have mine if you want it i can mail it to you. let me know.

Elder Ryan Clark Chandler said...

hahahaha, that is WAY funny!!! Cute pictures!!! Hey, we were wondering if on the 7th of May you all wanted to go hiking in Zions with us?

Megan said...

These pictures are hilarious. He is such a cutie and I can't believe he is moving around that much in his crib. How cute! I wish I had some great advice but I'm sure you will figure it out. You are smart like that. Thanks for making me smile today! Love ya! :)

Cami and Mitch said...

Oh man Brittany, those pictures are hilarious! Especially the one with his legs poking straight out of the crib. I understand your worries, so I am interested in what you decide to do! It was good to see you guys last weekend. You definately have to come again (hopefully when we don't have to work at all so I am more awake) and we should all do zions sometime!

Julie said...

This would happen with my kids! I too would take out the bumper and it seems like it rarely happened that the legs would get stock out through the bars. I saw someone else mentioned the mesh bumper,too. That could be the way to go if he tends to do it a lot. Have you seen the video ofthe kid in a cribthat would put his legs through the bars and push off teh wall to get to whatever he wanted in his room? It's so funny!

Lindsay said...

He is getting so big! Your post made me laugh. So funny!

Chelsea said...

SOO funny, Love the little legs coming out of the crib. He is such a cutie!