Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Exciting day for our family! :)

To all who knew us 10 years ago or so back in high school, remember these days? :)
(I was really embarrassed about this picture when my mom came in and snapped it, but now of course I am happy she did, because now I think it is funny.)
Well things have changed a lot since high school! Back in those days Steve didn't really care much for school. And now my awesome husband has his Bachelors degree in Communication with a minor in Psychology!

I actually really like hearing about people we knew in h.s. being surprised about Steve graduating from college. "I thought Steve didn't like school!" is what some have said. But it has been so awesome to see the transformation he has made throughout his education. His first few semesters at Utah Valley University were really tough. And these last few at SUU have been really busy and stressful. But he learned how to push through his classes and never give up, even when the odds seemed against him. (statistics class!)

I love to read the scripture in the Book of Mormon, Ether 12:27, because I don't think there is any better real life example that I have seen than Steve, that exemplifies this verse.

"And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them."

Steve has had some really tough semesters. He has wanted to quit before (thank you to his brothers and parents and everyone who has always urged him to not give up!). He has had to retake some classes (but that was his first semester, the one where we were engaged and got married. So you can't blame him...) Yet in comparison, his professor from one of his upper division classes that he took last semester wrote him a letter of recommendation that he needed for a job application, and in it he wrote "I would place Steven in the top 5% of students I have taught." What a compliment! And so awesome to see how far he has come!

Through it all, and what I think is the best thing of all, is that Steve has come to actually enjoy learning and enjoy school. And isn't that the point of education really? To have a desire to learn? So, I would just like to say that I am so so proud of my husband and how far he has come in his education. Hopefully I don't seem like I'm bragging too much about him, but I just think that he is such a good example and inspiration to those who have weaknesses, and he proves that weaknesses can be overcome! I am so happy I have been able to know him at both levels, in high school where learning was a huge obstacle and college was never really thought about, and now, where he is a college Graduate, likes to learn, and is about to start his Masters program!!










WAY TO GO STEVE!!!

9 comments:

Megan said...

That's awesome! Way to go Steve! Gotta love that graduated feeling and what an awesome example to you and both your boys as well! :)

Chelsi said...

Congratulations to the both of you! It takes a lot of work on his side and support on your side. You guys are awesome!

Lisa Harradine said...

Congrats to Steve! That is so exciting.

The Jones Family said...

That's so awesome! Steve's experiences are going to be so helpful when he is a school counselor! He'll know just how to work with students of all types!

Tayanna said...

Good job Kroff family!

simple mom/wife said...

I love every word Brittany! That has so many of the same feelings I have for Justin. We are so proud of Steve too and have loved watching him change! The picture is so great--brings back so many memories!

Kroffs said...

Wow!! Thanks for sharing that beautiful story. Congratulations!!

amy said...

Way to go Steveo!! Keep on truckin'!!

Lindsey said...

congrats Steve! I thought it was funny how people from HS have commented that they thought Steve didn't like school. I have had people say the same things to me about Robby. One girl even said, "I used to think he had a learning disorder!" He totally didn't, just didn't really care back then and could easily persuade girls to do all the work for him!