Friday, February 10, 2012

Washington Elementary


Well the big news is finally here. 

Steve got his first official career-like job. He was hired as the School Counselor at Washington Elementary School! "Career-like" job because it is not the same benefits and pay yet while he is still technically interning through the rest of this school year.  Since it is a late-hire job, he will have to re-apply for next year; but it is pretty much a given that he will get the position (that is, if the principal like him as much as he thinks he is going to like him). :)

It has been quite the journey to get to this point.  About a month ago we saw the job listed and it was actually open to Intern licenses. We decided "what the heck, lets just try." We hurried and put the job application in, and within 3-4 days he got a call for an interview.  He was sick with a cold and kind of losing his voice his interview day of course. He came home and said "well, I don't feel like anything went bad, but I don't feel like I really wowed them."  Later that day Mary Beth from the district called him and told him all the problems with hiring him.

1. He has the wrong license from U of Phoenix
2. He graduates in October and if he wanted to work this next school year he would need to graduate by August.

She didn't tell him she wanted to hire him, but we felt like it was an optimistic thing since she was going very much out of her way to let him know why it wouldn't work. If they didn't consider him at all they wouldn't have even worried about telling him this stuff.

The next week we hadn't heard anything else so Steve emailed the principal for an update, and we were WAY excited with his email response:

"Steven,
Flat out, we want you!  You are just one more shot of positive energy that our school needs.  But we want you for next year too. So if there is anything I can do to grease the wheels a little bit,  like call your professor or work through our U. of Phoenix director down here, I will.  If you get a chance, come by the school next week and let's talk."

Such a nice and flattering email for him!! After this we were thinking this might really be happening! It was such a crazy thought.  We started daydreaming and pretend house hunting (online) in Wash County and you know the rest.  But then there were so many loop holes to work through.  For like 2-3 weeks we were just hanging here not knowing if he was going to get the job.  That was the hardest part for me (waiting patiently is not my strongest quality...but I had to learn to do it during this experience).

Steve had to figure out how to graduate early, so he and his classmates all got together on it and submitted requests to U of Phoenix.  Within a few days they were approved! Now my hubby will be done with grad school in August instead of October! Its going to be awesome.  The issue with his license being the wrong one was kind of between the district, U of Phoenix, and the state of Utah.  So we couldn't really do anything about that except try and get them to figure it out.  Which they did yesterday!

So yesterday late afternoon Steve got the call from the school district officially offering him the position! We were both so excited.  I was kind of loud and jumping around and it started making T.J. nervous. He started putting his hands on my face and telling me to stop that. haha!

Today Steve went to fill out the paperwork and so now it completely feels official! He will start part-time on Monday. (He gave his 2 weeks notice to Cedar Middle today, so he will work part-time there for the next 2 weeks and then start FT at WES).

It is crazy that we have been married 6 years (next week!) and life only feels normal to us with him being in school. So it is really weird that he will be done and having a career life just in 6 months!  "such a grown up job" is what his friend texted him yesterday (which made me laugh cause its so true and so kind of weird!).

It is also very bittersweet. Although we don't have the official plans to leave Cedar at any given time (planning on staying through the summer) I have loved living here. I have made so many dear friends and had so many wonderful experiences.  I think my 3+ years in Cedar will always be some of my best memories in my life so it is definitely sad to know it is nearing an end.  At the beginning of this whole thing I told Steve that I would probably cry if he didn't get the job because I would be so disappointed, but I would cry if he did because I will be so sad to leave my friends and our ward and everything that is so good here!  And after just getting this calling, I know it will be hard to leave all the wonderful ladies in our Relief Society and ward!  But luckily I don't have to think about it yet because we have a bit longer here. :) I seriously have loved Cedar City. I had no idea that I would like it so much when I moved here.

Life is good and we are so blessed! It is very exciting for the upcoming changes in life!

5 comments:

Southern Belle said...

Congratulations!! That is so exciting and what a relief to almost be done with school! I don't know about you, but every time I drive by UGA (right near our house) and see the college students walking around with their backpacks, I think, Oh man I am so glad I am not in school anymore! When Jeff finished his masters, it was like the biggest load off ever! Good job and good luck with the new job! How exciting to be offered such a great job in this economy!

Ashlie n Jonathan said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!! So so exciting! I hope he loves it, and you love it too! I SO know what you mean about only knowing hubbies in school....we will have our first real job this summer after 11 years. Crazy! Congrats to you both!!!!! That was adorable of TJ. ;) You deserve to be excited! Your hubby must be pretty amazing for them to even consider trying to get through all those loop holes. Everyone must love him a lot to help him get there. So thrilled for you!!!!!! Thanks for the update. :) Where will you be moving to?

Lisa Harradine said...

Congratulations!! I am so excited for you guys. That is Amazing news :)

The Jones Family said...

Hurray! We are sooooo excited for you! Steve - you will be awesome! Those kiddos are going to love you! I hope it all goes well! Isn't it nice to be out of school with a real job? So, I guess this means you will be moving to Washington at some point? Best of luck - I know hard it is to leave an area you love! What an exciting change though! Isn't it amazing how things work out sometimes?

Megan said...

Yay!! Congratulations! I can speak from my own experience and say they must REALLY love Steve to help him get through all of that and then hire him!! That is so exciting! :)