Okay, so I am just curious of everyone's opinions.
What is better between a private blog and a public blog? Most of the people I know who change their blogs to private are because they have kids, but I also have a lot of friends with public blogs who have kids. So, please let me know what you think and why! I just like to hear feedback from others when I don't have a strong opinion of my own.
Thanks!
FEBRUARY 2025
10 months ago






7 comments:
I hate having my blog private, but I feel I have to to keep certain people from reading it, and to know who is reading it. There is a feedjit add-on you put on your blog to see where everyone lives that reads your blog, it's a really nice thing to have. Whenever I've taken my blog off private, I get random hits like Germany and such... and I just don't feel comfortable with that.
I don't like having my blog private either, but I don't want some random person getting personal information off of it. I can be more specific, like where I live if my blog is private. It is a lot harder for people like my grandma who doesn't know computers very well to view my blog, but I got it figured out for her, and I'm glad I'm private.
I don't update as much now that I am private. Not as many people read it either because it doesn't show up on google reader or whatever it is called when I update... but I just got scared of freaky people looking at it. Also, if you are not private, your blog can show up in random google searches which can draw more strangers to look at it. I never wanted to go private and I just had a strong feeling I should so I decided I better not ignore it just to be safe... it does make me feel safer with it private too... oh and people can copy your pictures and use them anywhere they want if you are not private. I had a friend whose daughter was put up on another blog and they were making fun of her. It gave me the creeps big time.
I've actually been tossing this idea around in my head, as well. I know there are some perks to being private, but I just try to keep personal information off my blog (like where I live, my kid's exact birthdays, etc). I've never had any disturbing comments on my blog. And, I set my blog up so it doesn't show up on search engines like google. So, currently, I feel I'm okay. Maybe I'm super-naive, but it hasn't been a big enough concern for me to change it.
We had friends who had pictures taken from their site and used in inappropriate manners. Even leaving out names or addresses, etc. it's really not that hard to start narrowing in on where people live because of places they visit, things they do, comments others make, etc. so even being private I think you have to be kind of careful. Nothing is totally safe. The number one thing I was told was don't use your name in the site address at all for safety reasons. It depends what your purpose in blogging is, too. For me, it's journaling and getting pictures out there for family to see. I really don't care to have a huge following. That being said, I do enjoy all those I blog stalk that are public. :)
I also have a private one, as you know. I just felt weird having it open to anyone to read. I didn't know you could set it up so it doesn't come up on searches so that's probably good to know for public blogs. I know mine isn't read all that much, partly because it's private and partly because I'm not a super big blogger. But I think of it as family history writing when I write it anyway.
I changed mine to private because I had about a total of 6 comments from people who I have NO idea who they are. Most of them were back East like Ohio, Kentucky, etc. I click on their blogs and they are weird people. One lady believed in reincarnation and another lady wrote about champagne. People are just creepy so I didn't like that weirdos were looking at my blog. That's why I went private. I will be honest though, it is really annoying because even I have to log on every time I want to see my blog, but I would rather not have creeps look at my blog. When I posted that I was going private, I had 2 people ask to be invited and I had NO idea who they were. It's just kinda scary, so that's why I am a private blogger. :)
Post a Comment